“Machines will never fall in love with each other, they will never say a prayer in earnest and they will never comprehend their own death,” writes Dr. Geoffrey Simmons. In today’s bingecast, Dr. Robert J. Marks talks with author and retired physician Simmons about his book, Are We Here to Re-Create Ourselves?: The Convergence of Designs. The two spin off into conversation about human design, the future of robots and artificial intelligence, and the nature of the mind.
- 00:21 | Introducing Dr. Geoffrey Simmons
- 02:04 | Are we here to re-create ourselves?
- 04:10 | A purpose to our design
- 05:18 | Ray Kurzweil and Singularity
- 06:19 | Why write?
- 07:40 | Sending robots to space
- 09:54 | The possibility of robot therapists
- 11:23 | Space brain
- 12:47 | Perfecting artificial intelligence
- 15:13 | Are animals conscious?
- 17:38 | Thinking and problem-solving in animals
- 21:04 | How can you talk to yourself?
- 26:27 | Artificial intelligence in the future
- Geoffrey Simmons’ website at Kirkus Reviews
- Are We Here to Re-Create Ourselves?: The Convergence of Designs by Geoffrey Simmons at Amazon
- Geoffrey Simmons’ author page at Amazon
- “Physician’s Diary: Our Remarkable Healing Processes and the Coronavirus Infection” by Dr. Simmons at Evolution News
- “Coronavirus Response: Design in Nature and Medical Science” — Dr. Simmons on the Intelligent Design the Future podcast
- “Can Evolution Create Mind? Can We?” — Dr. Simmons on the Intelligent Design the Future podcast
- “Dr. Geoffrey Simmons On Human Design — and Re-Creating It in Robots” — Dr. Simmons on the Intelligent Design the Future podcast
- The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil at Amazon
- “Here’s How Space Travel Changes the Brain” at LiveScience
- The Turing test at Encyclopædia Britannica
- Hit Refresh by Satya Nadella at Amazon
- Shadows of the Mind by Roger Penrose at Amazon
- The Mystery of Life’s Origin by Charles B. Thaxton