Samuel Bendett on AI Development in Russia
What is happening in Russia right now with regards to development of artificial intelligence? In today’s bingecast, Samuel Bendett and Robert J. Marks discuss Russian military and non-military development of AI including autonomous weapons, entrepreneurship, and free enterprise.
- 00:46 | Introducing Samuel Bendett, advisor with the CNA Adversary Analysis Group
- 01:37 | Samuel Bendett’s background
- 02:14 | Russian non-military development of AI
- 09:28 | Taking risks in development
- 10:53 | Is Russia starting to embrace free enterprise?
- 12:07 | Incentives for entrepreneurs in Russia
- 13:42 | Major players in Russian AI development
- 15:30 | Examples of Russian entrepreneurship
- 16:38 | Companies creating other companies
- 18:43 | Russian academia and AI development
- 20:39 | How does the Russian military define artificial intelligence?
- 22:21 | Deepfakes
- 23:39 | Where is the work on Russian military AI happening?
- 27:58 | Swarm intelligence projects in Russia
- 29:43 | The structure of research institutions in Russia
- 30:20 | Academia in Russian military AI development
- 31:43 | Development of autonomous weapons in Russia
- Samuel Bendett at the Center for a New American Security
- CNA website
- CNA’s Center for Autonomy and Artificial Intelligence (CAAI)
- CNA Russia Studies Program
- Articles by Samuel Bendett at Defense One
- NTech Lab
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT)
- Artificial Intelligence In Russia Newsletter (on the left side of the page near the bottom)
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Advanced Research Foundation (Фонд перспективных исследований) at Wikipedia
- “Russia Wants to Build a Whole City for Developing Weapons” by Samuel Bendett at War is Boring